Digital Simulation of Module’s Elastic Potential


Gradient of colours obtained by selecting centre of rhombi as parameter because we are thinking that for our final composition we shall develop a simlar gradient from floor to ceiling (y-axis).

grasshopper diagram

We  subsequently exported the baked surfaces in autocad to add the pattern of cuts.


It consists in a division of each side of the rhombi in 4, 5 or 6 segments. Where the segments intersect we are going to create a V-shaped cut:


Finally, we exported the rhombi with the patterns in Rhino and attempted to carry out the simulation of the elastic potential of the surfaces in Grasshopper.

in rhino

We encountered a problem: the pattern of cuts consists of V-shaped polylines on the surface of the rhombi, thus it isn’t actually a cut/hole in the surface. To attempt making it such, we tried to extrude the polylines and carry out a Boolean Difference, however it didn’t work.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe the V-shaped lines can be read as cuts in the surface if a new parameter is inserted in the Grasshopper equation?


One comment

  1. Unfortunately, when it comes down to cutting, it is quite tricky to simulate with kangaroo. There is a way of doing it but I don’t recommend it. We will discuss it further on this coming Saturday. Perhaps it might be better to focus on preparing for the last tutorial. We asked few things to prepare as you can see from our facebook group message. See you soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: